How do you survive an incredibly busy day at work without completely loosing it!?
The phones are ringing off the hook. You’re being pulled left and right. You are performing multiple tasks AND you have multiple job functions!
Here are some of the things I do to get myself through the day, not only in one piece, but with peace of mind.
(1) Take a deep breath – Taking a deep breath every now and again, restores oxygen to the brain. When you are able to think more clearly, you automatically feel better.
(2) Be in one place at a time – In your mind I mean. I find that when I am present with what I am doing and actually observing and paying attention to the task at hand, i.e., not allowing my mind to wander on what I still have yet to do, I not only do a more accurate job, but my overall attitude is better. I finish what I am doing more quickly and I seem to recall things quicker. In other words, trust in the fact that you don’t have to overload the brain with all kinds of “things you still have to do” because your brain will recall what’s needed. Incredible isn’t it?
(3) Talk to yourself – YES! I said talk to yourself! – We mostly hear our own thoughts, in our own voice. When you are experiencing a stressful time and no one else is around…Talk yourself through it. Tell yourself “Everything is just fine.” “I handled that quite well.” “I’m so proud of you.” Tell yourself whatever you need to hear to shift your thoughts from negative to positive. Whatever thoughts you introduce into your mind, your mind will indulge if you are not observant of it.
(4) Step outside – A blast of fresh air and a change in scenery, can definitely do the trick. Especially if you are in a location where there are trees, flowers or plants, blue skies, water, etc. If you don’t have any of this, Youtube seriously helps! I have called upon Youtube’s assistance to create whatever ambiance I desire from a crackling fireplace to thunderstorms! It’s wonderful to be able to use such a medium to get us to a place of peacefulness whenever we need it.
(5) Play some music and sing or chair-dance – Listen! I know we’re talking about work and I also know that there is but so much you can do. Doing as much as you can on this list will do wonders. Playing music changes the entire mood and evokes the intent of the creator of a song. Find your favorite satellite radio station, listen at a reasonable volume appropriate for your office, and get to singing! Better yet, when no one is around and certainly without interrupting others, chair-dancing to release pinned up energy from sitting all day, is fun, healthy, and will put an instant smile on your face like you’re a kid again!
Many of us have to make a living by going to work, whether outside of the home or in a home office, BUT we don’t have to let work stop us from living.
Thanks for stopping by!
Lisa Scott, B.MSC
Work with me:
Stop by my website: @ www.lisascott.org (If my site resonate with you, please like and share with a friend)
Listen to my podcasts: https://soundcloud.com/lisascott28 (If you enjoy what you hear, please like, comment and share)